In an after-hours emergency situation please contact Summerside Police at 432-1201.

If you need to make an inquiry about your current or past utility bills, please contact Financial Services.

To request a new water and sewer connection for your property, please contact Technical Services. If you need to have your existing connection turned on, please schedule your request through Financial Services. You may want to review our New Water and Sewer Service Connections article before you call for answers to some common questions.

Our team at Municipal Services will respond promptly to your questions and concerns and we will be happy to direct you to the appropriate department if you have reached us by mistake. Please contact us using the contact form.

Our contact information includes a map to our offices, hours of operation, fax and telephone numbers.